Sunday, February 7, 2010

One Thing

The last few weeks have been hectic, to say the least. I've been working more on-call at work due to the retirement of one of our chaplains (congratulations again Gorman!); my in-laws have been going through a tough time with some major life changes hanging over them due to my recent father-in-law's hospitalization; and I've been more involved in a recent start-up ministry called Celebrate Recovery at my church, Vineyard Christian Church in Florence, KY. All this in addition to trying to stay connected to my wife and daughter as well as my small group and other friends, family, etc. Oh yeah... and on Thursday nights I'm continuing to teach part-time at our local community college.

Whew! If it sounds like a lot, then it is. Some days I feel like I'm being pulled in 27 different directions - at the same time!

So.... that's the point of this posting. I'm doing a lot of really good things, activities that I feel are contributing to the expansion and growth of God's kingdom on earth. I feel as if I'm truly spreading the fragrance of Christ (2 Corinthians 2:14-16) in many different places and to many different people. I truly feel blessed to be living the life God has given me.

On the other hand, though, I feel as if my life lacks focus, at least recently. There are so many things to which I feel would be a good investment of my time and energy and I've been approached recently by several people for my input or ideas about certain ministries and projects that are worthy, but would involved more time, more energy, more commitment.

More of me. And I'm not sure how much more of me there is to go around. (I have lost a little weight recently!)

Luke tells the story of two sisters, Mary and Martha, in chapter ten of his gospel. Jesus and his disciples had come to their home to rest and socialize. Martha, who was the one who appartently took the initiative and "opened her home to him" (10:38), was busy making preparations for the obligatory meal. She was indignant with Jesus because her sister Mary wasn't helping her at all! Mary was sitting at Jesus' feet, "listening to what he said."

If she thought Jesus was going to chastise Mary for her (in Martha's eyes) obvious laziness and shirking of her duties, then she was in for a surprise: "Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."

Mary has chosen what is better. It's not that what Martha was doing was bad. The preparations were necessary. People need to eat. The ethic of hospitality needs to be fulfilled. But in that particular moment, Mary had made the better choice. Martha was doing what was good and necessary, but there was a better choice.

And so I find myelf in Martha's position. There are many things that need to be done, many tasks that deserve time and attention and energy. But only one thing is needed.

What is that one thing?

That obvious answer is to sit at the Lord's feet and listen to what he says! That, at least, is the beginning of discerning the path of this journey.

I'm reminded of a quote from one of my favorite authors, Ursula K. Le Guin. She wrote in A Wizard of Earthsea:  "And the truth is that as a man’s real power grows and his knowledge widens, ever the way he can follow grows narrower: until at last he chooses nothing, but does only and wholly what he must do." (59)

Lord, I face many choices each day, but what is that thing I must do? I feel your Word burning like a fire in my bones.... Keep me on this narrowing journey that I may fulfill the call you've placed on me, that I may one day here those sweet, sweet words, "Well done, good and faithful servant. Well done..." Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment