Tuesday, December 15, 2009

“A Dog Named Amazing Grace”

It seems that every year I find it more and more difficult to “get in the mood” for Christmas. I do enjoy receiving presents, but the excitement I felt as a child has waned significantly. I like watching the classics: Miracle on 34th Street, How the Grinch Stole Christmas (the cartoon version of course!), Scrooged and of course, the most inspirational of them all: Christmas Vacation [Best Christmas movie line ever: “Eddie, if I woke up tomorrow morning with my head sown to the carpet, I wouldn’t be more surprised than I am right now.” Ha!]

In my old age I’ve discovered that if I remember to keep the true meaning of Christmas in my mind right at the very beginning of the season, then I can actually enjoy it all. But if I forget the true meaning of Christmas, then I succumb to the distractions, frustrations and temptations that make the holiday season nearly unbearable and, quite frankly, downright depressing.

I recently heard the following story, which, by the way, is entirely true, and am pleased to share it with any who might read this. Even though Christmas is never mentioned, the spirit of the story is certainly a powerful reminder of its true meaning.

There was once an elderly couple who brought their elderly dog to their veterinarian. The dog was sick again, as he so often was, and the elderly couple had a feeling the prognosis was not good. After the vet had assessed the dog, he left the room to consult with a nurse. He came back into the exam room with his nurse and spoke tenderly to the elderly couple. “I’m sorry,” he said, “but the blood tests confirm your dog has a cancer. In a younger, healthier dog we would consider treating the cancer, but your dog is getting old and has had so many health problems over the years. He wouldn’t survive any treatment we can offer. He’s suffering now, and I recommend we euthanize him. I’m so sorry.”

The couple was, of course, saddened to hear this news, but they understood. Amazing Grace had undergone so many treatments and therapies, more than what any animal (or person!) should have to endure. “He’s always been such a friendly dog,” said the husband, his eyes brimming with tears. “We hardly ever had to correct him.” “He’s such a good companion,” offered the wife, sniffling as she spoke, “despite the illnesses he’s had. We’ll miss him dearly, but we understand.”

The nurse who had come into the room with the doctor had seen many animals euthanized, but there was something special about this one. As the vet prepared the serum for injection, the nurse politely asked, “Where did you come up the idea to name him Amazing Grace?”

At this the old couple laughed softly. The wife looked at the vet and said, “Doctor, you know why we named him Amazing Grace, don’t you?” The vet continued to mix the serum and slowly smiled. “Yeah, I remember,” he said. “I told you ten years ago, when you first adopted him and brought him to me, that this dog should probably be euthanized immediately. He had so many health problems and would cost you an enormous amount of money and energy and time just to keep "him alive, and this would far outweigh any benefit of companionship or love you could ever receive back from him.”

“Yes,” replied the husband, laughing a little. “And you were right about one thing, Doc: he has cost us an enormous amount of money and time and energy, more than seems justified.” The wife looked at the nurse: “You ask why we named him Amazing Grace? What if God had come to the same conclusion about us?”

"Amazing grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me!"

The Bible says, "The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel, which means, God with us.” (Matthew 1:23, NIV)

God with us. Not God yelling at us on from the sideline. Not God watching us from the stands or hearing about us on the evening news. God with us.

God for us. God in us. God through us. God as one of us. That’s the miracle, that’s the celebration, that’s the whole reason for all of it!

What if God had looked upon us and said, “You know, you’re just not worth the effort”? What if God had decided that rescuing us and nursing us back to life would just cost too much?

There would never have been a Bible, or a people called Israel. We would never have reason to remember Abraham or Moses or David, much less learn from them Certainly there would never have been a need for Jesus, which means no virgin birth, no heavenly hosts of angels, no shepherds or wise men or mangers…

No Christmas.

And no hope. (And definitely no “amazing grace.”)

Everyone has their own variation on the true meaning of Christmas, but, for me at least, Christmas is a reminder that God deems me to be worth the effort of rescuing, even though it cost Him more than I could ever repay.

One of my favorite Christmas carols is “O Holy Night.” I wish I could do the song justice when I sing, but I’m afraid my version is more like “O Holy crap-I-can't-believe-he's-trying-to-sing-this Night.” (That was me begin funny. You can laugh if you like, out loud if you're so inclined.) The first verse says

O Holy Night! The stars are brightly shining.
It is the night of the dear Savior's birth.
Long lay the world in sin and error pining.
Till He appeared and the soul felt its worth.
A thrill of hope the weary world rejoices,
For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn.
Fall on your knees! Oh, hear the angel voices!
O night divine, the night when Christ was born;
O night, O Holy Night , O night divine!
O night, O Holy Night , O night divine!

Did you hear it? Till he appeared and the soul felt its worth.

Yes! Now that’s beginning to sound a lot like Christmas!

May all of us feel the worth of our souls as we fall on our knees to worship our “dear Savior” this Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment